Australia 1907-P sovereign
This specimen was lot 20154 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $840. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. Sovereign, 1907-P. PCGS MS-63+ Secure Holder. Alluring quality for the date with smooth, satiny texture in the fields and comparatively few marks over the surfaces. Ideal for the high end set collector by date with this coin being tied with one other example for the finest graded at PCGS." This date, from a type struck 1902-10 at Perth (shown here), Melbourne and Sydney, is common.
Recorded mintage: 4,972,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold, AGW 0.2355 oz.
Catalog reference: S-3972; Fr-34; KM-15.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.