Australia 1901-S sovereign
The first specimen was lot 32450 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $660. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Sovereign 1901-S MS63 NGC, Sydney mint. Deep golden color provides a pleasant light-dark contrast that nicely contours the devices on this last-year-of-issue type." The second specimen was lot 42253 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $480. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. Sovereign, 1901-S. Sydney Mint. NGC MS-63. From the final year of reign for Queen Victoria. Fully lustrous with bright orange gold tone that compliments the appearance." The Sydney and Melbourne mints issued large quantities of these "old head" sovereigns 1893-1901 with the Perth mint contributing starting in 1899. This is a common date.
Recorded mintage: 3,012,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3877; Fr-23; KM-13.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.