Australia 1895-S sovereign
"Australien, Victoria, 1837-1901. Sovereign 1895 S, Sydney. Old head. Sehr schön-vorzüglich. (Australia, Victoria, 1837-1901, sovereign of 1895, Sydney mint, old head. Very fine-extremely fine.)"This "veiled head" type was struck 1893-1901 at the Sydney, Perth and Melbourne mints. The jubilee head used 1887-93 was retired. The Sydney mint was opened in 1855 to strike the gold found in Australia and was not employed to strike ordinary circulation coinage until 1920.
Recorded mintage: 2,758,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3877; Fr-23; KM-13.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The August 2019 Chicago ANA Auction: World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 59: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2019.