Australia 1892-M sovereign
"Australien, Victoria, 1837-1901. Sovereign 1892 M, Melbourne. Jubilee head. Vorzüglich-FDC. (Australia, Victoria, 1837-1901, sovereign of 1892, Melbourne mint, jubilee head. Extremely fine-uncirculated.)"This "jubilee head" type was struck 1887-93 at the Sydney and Melbourne mints. The shield reverse used 1871-87 was retired. The Melbourne mint was opened in 1872 to strike the gold found in Australia and was not employed to strike ordinary circulation coinage until 1916.
Recorded mintage: 3,488,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 7.99 g.
Catalog reference: KM 10, Seaby 3867 C, Fr-20.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 59: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2019.