Australia 1890-S sovereign
"AUSTRALIE, Victoria (1837-1901), AV souverain, 1890 S, Sydney. Petits coups. presque Superbe. (Australia, queen Victora, 1837-1901, gold sovereign of 1890, Sydney mint. Small nicks, extremely fine.)"This "jubilee head" type was struck 1887-93 at the Sydney and Melbourne mints. The shield reverse used 1871-87 was retired. The Sydney mint was opened in 1855 to strike the gold found in Australia and was not employed to strike ordinary circulation coinage until 1920.
Recorded mintage: 2,808,000.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S., 3868; Fr-19; KM-10.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Elsen, Philippe, et al., Vente Publique 112, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses Fils, S.A., 2012.