Australia 1887-S sovereign Fr-11
This specimen was lot 32380 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $960. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold "Shield" Sovereign 1887-S MS61 NGC, Sydney mint." This "shield" type was struck 1871-87 at the Sydney and Melbourne mints simultaneously with the "St. George and the dragon" type. The SCWC does not attempt to separate the mintages of the two types. "Jubilee head" sovereigns are also listed for 1887.
Recorded mintage: 1,000,000, including the St. George reverse, plus 1,002,000 of the "jubilee head".
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-11, KM 6.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- Australia 1887-S 1/2 sovereign Fr-13, young head
- 1887-M sovereign, young head, shield reverse
- 1887-M sovereign, young head, St. George reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, young head, St. George reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, Jubilee head
- 1887-M sovereign, Jubilee Head
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Australia