Australia 1887-S 1/2 sovereign Fr-13
This specimen was lot 33337 in Heritage sale 3038 (Dallas, January 2015), where it sold for $705. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold 1/2 Sovereign 1887-S AU50 PCGS, Sydney mint. A muted-gold example featuring the young head of Victoria, with evidence of light handling and a few scratches over the bust. Wear and strike typical for the grade." Half sovereigns were coined in Australia 1855-1920 in small numbers compared to the enormous quantities of sovereigns issued in that period. This type was struck in Sydney and Melbourne 1871-87 and is not expensive in worn condition but the price ascends rapidly with grade.
Recorded mintage: 134,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3862E, Fr-13; KM 5.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage Signature Auction 3038, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- 1881-M ½ sovereign
- 1885-S sovereign
- 1887-M sovereign, shield reverse
- 1887-M sovereign, St. George reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, shield reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, young head, St. George reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, Jubilee head
- 1887-M sovereign, Jubilee Head
- 1893-M half sovereign, Jubilee head
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Australia