Australia 1887-M sovereign Fr-16
This specimen was lot 32462 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $387.75. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold "St. George" Sovereign 1887-M MS61 NGC, Melbourne mint. Young Head type with St. George on reverse. Scarcer date/mint combination. From the Ohio Valley Collection." This "St. George and the dragon" type was struck 1871-87 at the Sydney and Melbourne mints simultaneously with the "shield" type. The SCWC does not attempt to separate the mintages of the two types. The Melbourne mint was opened in 1872 to strike the gold found in Australia and was not employed to strike ordinary circulation coinage until 1920. Of the three different sovereigns struck at Melbourne in 1887, the Jubilee head is common, St. George is scarce, and the shield type is rare. proofs exist.
Recorded mintage: 1,915,000 (St. George plus shield reverse) plus 940,000 (Jubilee head).
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-16; KM 7.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- 1884-M sovereign, shield reverse
- 1886-M sovereign, St. George reverse
- 1887-S half sovereign
- 1887-M sovereign, shield reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, shield reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, young head, St. George reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, Jubilee head
- 1887-M sovereign, Jubilee Head
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Australia