Australia 1887-M sovereign Fr-12
This specimen was lot 30401 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $9,000. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold 'Shield' Sovereign 1887-M AU58 PCGS, Melbourne mint. A lovely example of this rare date nearly possessing the in-hand feel of a coin in uncirculated condition. The finest we have offered to-date." This "shield" type was struck 1871-87 at the Sydney and Melbourne mints simultaneously with the "St. George and the dragon" type. The SCWC does not attempt to separate the mintages of the two types, altho the "St. George" reverse is rare for 1883.
Recorded mintage: 1,915,000 (St. George plus shield reverse) plus 940,000 (Jubilee head).
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-12, KM 6, S-3864A.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- Australia 1887-S 1/2 sovereign Fr-13 young head
- Australia 1887-M sovereign Fr-16 young head, St. George reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, shield reverse
- 1887-S sovereign, young head, St. George reverse
- Australia 1887-S sovereign Fr-19 Jubilee head
- 1887-M sovereign, Jubilee Head
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Australia