Australia 1886-S sovereign Fr-11
"Victoria, 1837-1901 Sovereign 1886. Sydney. Fast FDC. (Australia, Victoria, 1837-1901, sovereign of 1886, Sydney mint. About uncirculated.)"The Sydney mint was opened in 1855 to strike the gold found in Australia and was not employed to strike ordinary circulation coinage until 1920. The shield reverse shown here was introduced in 1871 simultaneously with the St. George reverse. The shield reverse was retired in 1887 when the obverse was redesigned to use the "Jubilee head."
Recorded mintage: 1,677,000 (including the St. George reverse) plus proofs.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW, this specimen 7.99 g.
Catalog reference: S. 3858E. Fr. 11, KM 6.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Jürg Richter, Numismatic Coins & Medals, Auction 33, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2016.