Australia 1883-M sovereign Fr-16
This specimen was lot 22083 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $460. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Sovereign 1883M, AU, some field marks, none severe. Type with St. George and dragon, reverse. Tough coin in higher grades." This "St. George and the dragon" type was struck 1871-87 at the Sydney and Melbourne mints simultaneously with the "shield" type. The SCWC does not attempt to separate the mintages of the two types.
Recorded mintage: 2,049,999 (including the shield reverse and a few proofs).
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 7, Fr-16.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.