Australia 1871-S 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 6018 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $763.75. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRALIA. 1/2 Sovereign, 1871-S. NGC AU-53. First year of new type." This is a common date of a scarce type issued 1871-87. The SCWC notes it as twice the price of the sovereign of 1871-87. It was also minted at Melbourne.
Recorded mintage: 180,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-13; KM-5.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- McDonald, Greg, The Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes, 23rd ed., Lavington, Australia, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.