Alsace (1564-95) 2 thaler Dav-8093
This specimen was lot 30326 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $2,585. The catalog description noted, "Archduke Ferdinand 2 Talers ND (1564-95), Ensisheim mint, AU55 NGC. Obv. Crowned and armored bust right. Rev. Crowned coat-of-arms within Order of the Golden Fleece. Rich gunmetal-gray color with traces of original silvery luster. The well-struck surfaces are free of notable flaws." Davenport notes a considerable number of thalers and multiple thalers struck for the archduke, Dav-8088 thru Dav-8103, all without dates. None are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Dav-8093, M/T-574.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1484-1600, Frankfurt: Numismatischer Verlag, 1977.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals & Banknotes, Auction 11, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.
- Alsace (1564-95) thaler Dav-8088
- Alsace (1564-95) thaler Dav-8089
- (1584-1602) thaler, Ensisheim mint
- Austria (1564-95) thaler Dav-8095
- Austria (1564-95) thaler Dav-8099
- Austria (1564-95) thaler Dav-8102 Hall mint
- (1564-95) double thaler, Hall mint
- (1564-95) triple thaler, Hall mint
- Coins and currency dated 1564