Sicily 1791-GLCI oncia Dav-1420
This specimen was lot 40649 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $2,585. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Sicily. Oncia of 30 Tari, 1791-GLCI. NGC AU Details--Edge Damage. Ferdinand III (1759-1825). RARE. Dark toned. A few edge bumps. Demarete Collection." This large denomination was not regularly issued and all the recorded dates (Dav-1413, -1414, -1416, -1420 and -1422) are rare. Its face value was thirty tari when a regular piastra was worth twelve tari.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 68.32 g, .833 fine silver, 55 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Dav-1420; C-37a; MIR-597; Saphr-2; Gig-3; Mont-3.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.