Russia 1897-SP kopek
This specimen was lot 25430 in Heritage sale 3019 (Chicago, April 2012), where it sold for $1,035. The catalog description noted, "Nicholas II Proof 1 Kopeck 1897 СПБ, Crowned double-headed Imperial eagle in circle / Value in circle with Date above, Proof 62 Red and Brown NGC. Well struck with light spotting and a mostly red reverse." This type is listed for 1867-1914. The nineteenth century dates are scarce in nice condition but the later dates are common with, of course, the exception of the proofs. In 1914, Russia plunged into World War One, which conflict would lead to the destruction of the regime.
Recorded mintage: unknown (not listed in the SCWC).
Specification: 4 g, copper, 21.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Brekke-30, KM-Y9.2.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cristiano Bierrenbach, World and Ancient Coins sale 3019, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.