Russia 1878-SP 5 kopeks
[Image:Russia SB119-43928o.jpg|300px|thumb|from the Stack's Bowers 2019 NYINC sale, lot 43928]]
This specimen was lot 43928 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $264. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. 5 Kopek, 1878-CNB. PCGS MS-63 BN Gold Shield. Golden brown in the open field with blue tone highlighting most of the raised designs." This type was struck at St. Petersburg 1867-81 and at Ekaterinburg 1867-76. A silver 5 kopeks was struck at the same time and eventually superseded the copper type.
Recorded mintage: 12,542,000, a common date.
Specification: 16.4 g, copper, 32.6 mm diameter, reeded edge.
Catalog reference: KM-Y12.2; Bit-506.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.