Difference between revisions of "Portugal 1741 6400 reis"
(Created page with "Heritage sale 3076, lot 32114 thumb This specimen was lot 32114 in Heritage sale 307...")
Latest revision as of 23:15, 15 January 2020
This specimen was lot 32114 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), where it sold for $1,320. The catalog description noted, "Portugal. João V gold 4 Escudos (Peça) 1741 AU55 NGC, Lisbon mint. A sparkling offering displaying ample mint luster and a quality of care that places it on the very precipice of Mint State condition. One of only three examples seen by NGC to-date." This type was struck 1723-50 but is seldom seen compared to similar coins that were struck in Brazil.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 221.9, Fr-86.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3076, featuring the Allen Moretti Swiss Collection and the James Mossman Collection of Canadian Coinage, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.