Papal States (1816)-B doppia
This specimen was lot 3089 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Papal States. Doppia, Year 17 (1816)-B. Bologna Mint. NGC MS-64. WINGS Approved. Great strike with nice contrast between the subtle texture of the clouds and flashing fields. Minimal scattered bag marks and no wear to devices. Flashing and lustrous with some deep orange toning to reverse. Very eye appealing and desirable. The finest certified example." A doppia may originally have been a double ducat but by this period was substantially lighter. The SCWC lists this type for 1815, 1817 and 1823 from Rome and 1815-16, 1820 and 1829-30 from Bologna. The last doppia was struck in 1834.
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: 5.46 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 1077, Fr-249, Gig-17; Mont-84, Berm-3218.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.