PCGS 2055 - Indian Head Cent, Copper Nickel (1860-1864)
Navigate by PCGS number: Indian Head Cent, Copper-Nickel (1860-1864)
- PCGS 2051 - Indian Head Cent, No Shield (1859 only)
- PCGS 2075 - Indian Head Cent, Bronze (1864-1909), RD
Treasury Secretary Howell Cobb said that the change was made to give the design a more national character.
The design used in 1859 is called the Pointed Bust design, due to the sharp truncation to the portrait. In 1860 a new design, stylistically a reversal, with a broad bust point was used. It stayed in used until 1864. The 1860 issue is found with both obverse types.
The reverse of the Indian Cent was changed by Longacre from a laurel (olive) wreath to a wreath of oak with olive and three arrows bound at the base by a ribbon. A federal shield is at the top. Patterns showing the new reverse were made in 1859. All regular issues from 1860 onward carry the basic design. Beginning in 1861, the center of the design was made shallower to allow the mint to reduce the striking pressure and save money on dies. These are known as Shallow N dies due to the shallow N in ONE. This design was used exclusively until 1869 and is also found on a few issues dated 1870-1872 and business strike 1877 issues.
- Weight: 72 grains (4.67 grams)
- Diameter: 19 millimeters
- Composition: Copper - 88% - Nickel - 12%
- Edge: Plain.
Prices realized from past auction lots. (PCGS Holder)
PCGS Price Guide 
- Breen, Walter H., Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U. S. and Colonial Coins, New York: Doubleday, 1987.
- Snow, Richard E., Flying Eagle and Indian Cents, Tucson, AZ: Eagle Eye Rare Coins, 1992.
- Snow, Richard E., The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide, 2nd. edition. 1859-1869, Tucson, AZ: Eagle Eye Rare Coins, 2003.
- Snow, Richard E., A Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents, Atlanta, GA: Whitman Publishing, 2007.
- Yeoman, R. S., and Kenneth Bressett (ed.), A Guide Book of United States Coins, 59th Ed., Atlanta, GA: Whitman Publishing, 2005.
- U.S. Mint
<gallery> Image:PCGS 2051 - Indian Head Cent, No Shield (1859 only).jpg|Indian Head Cent, No Shield (1859 only) Image:PCGS 7969 1854 $3 MS64 a.jpg|PCGS 7969 1854 $3 Image:854 $3 - Indian Head Cent compare a.jpg|1854 $3 - Indian Head Cent comparision. <\gallery>