Naples and Sicily 1749-DG MMR 6 ducati Fr-843
This specimen was lot 25293 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Naples & Sicily. Carlo di Borbone gold 6 Ducati 1749, MS63 PCGS. Sharply struck, with full mint bloom and reflective obverse fields. Rare in this choice Mint State condition." Charles II, the last Hapsburg king of Spain, was also king of Naples and Sicily. After his death the area passed out of the hands of the Spanish crown, only to be reconquered by them in the 1730's. Charles III later became king of Spain 1759-88. This type was struck 1749-55 and is priced quite low in the SCWC. Despite the six ducati denomination, it is not a true six ducat coin, having only enough gold for about two and a half ducats.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.79 g, .906 fine gold, .256 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: P/R-1, MIR-331, Fr-843, KM-153 (formerly C28).
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.