Mexico 1836-Ga FS 8 reales
This specimen was lot 444 in Morton & Eden sale 104 (London, November 2019), where it sold for £1,700 (about US$2,633 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "Republic, 8 reales, Guadalajara mint, 1836 FS, a little softly struck and with light adjustment marks showing on cap, usual die flaws, mint state and blue toned, rare thus." For 1836, the SCWC lists 1836/5 and 1836/1 overdates as well as assayers FS and JG. This date is quite scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown but much scarcer than 1836-GA JG.
Specification: 27.07 g, 0.903 fine silver, 0.785 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 377.6, DP-Ga14b.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Utberg, Neil S., The Coins of Mexico, 1536-1963, San Antonio, TX, 1963.
- Dunigan, Mike, and J. B. Parker, Resplandores: Cap and Ray 8 Reales of The Republic of Mexico, 1823-1897, Beverly Hills, CA: Superior Stamp & Coin, 1997.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Eden, Tom, James Morton, David Kirk and Menelaos Danellis, Morton & Eden sale 104, Ancient Coins and the Mexico Collection, London: Morton & Eden, 2019.
- Zacatecas 1836 1/8 real
- Sonora 1836 1/4 real
- 1836-MO ¼ real
- 1836-MO ½ real
- 1836-DO real
- 1836-ZS real
- 1836-ZS 2 reales
- 1836-GO 4 reales
- 1836-DO 8 reales
- 1836-GA JG 8 reales
- 1836-GO 8 reales
- 1836-MO 8 reales
- 1836-PI 8 reales
- 1836-DO ½ escudo
- 1836-DO escudo
- 1836-GA 2 escudos
- 1836-GO 4 escudos
- 1836-DO 8 escudos
- 1836-GA 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1836
- return to Silver eight reales of Mexico, 1822-1897