Mexico 1824-Mo JM 8 escudos
The Mexico City mint struck eight escudos 1824-69 and is one of the abundant mints for that denomination; most dates are common. This specimen was lot 21194 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $3,360. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. 8 Escudos, 1824-MoJM. NGC MS-61. One year type. The 1824 uses the same large book obverse design as the 1823 "hook-neck" 8 Escudos but mated with the upright eagle reverse. Tied with one other as second finest graded at NGC, no mint state examples graded at PCGS. This is a wholesome, lustrous, and highly attractive example of this scarce issue."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .875 fine gold, .761 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-64; KM-383.9.
- Buttrey, T. V., and Clyde Hubbard, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins, 1822 to date, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1992.
- Harper, David C. [Ed.], North American Coins & Prices, 17th Ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2007.
- Long, Richard A., Gold Coins of the Early Mexican Republic, 1823-1873, North Bend, OR: Wegferd Publications, 2004.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Aguascalientes 1824 1/8 real
- Durango 1824-D 1/8 real
- Mexico 1824-Mo JM 1/2 real "hook-neck"
- 1824-DO real "hookneck"
- Mexico 1824-Do RL 2 reales "hook-neck"
- Mexico 1824-Mo JM 2 reales "hook-neck"
- Mexico 1824-Do RL 8 reales
- Mexico 1824-Go JM 8 reales
- Mexico 1824-Mo JM 8 reales
- Mexico 1824-Mo JM 8 reales hook-neck
- 1825-MO 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1824
- return to Mexican imperial and republican coinage, 1822-1905