Great Britain 1883 farthing
This specimen was lot 34032 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), where it sold for $504. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain: Victoria Proof Farthing 1883 PR65 Red and Brown PCGS. Highly reflective with pinpoint sharpness from the outer dentilation to the central bust of Victoria on the obverse and Britannia on the reverse. Much red remains at the edges with a touch of faded red-brown color in the exposed fields. An extremely rare date in Proof format. Ex. Law Collection." This "bun head" type superseded the "young head" farthing in 1860 and was struck in large numbers. The weight was slightly reduced in 1874 and struck in this form until the "old head" was introduced in 1895. The "jubilee head", which appeared on the silver 1887-92, was not used on the bronze coinage. The date is common and would not normally warrant the price realized here; the variety must be rare.
Recorded mintage: 1,129,000 + proofs.
Specification: 8.8 g, copper.
Catalog reference: KM 753, S-3958, Peck-1908.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3076, featuring the Allen Moretti Swiss Collection and the James Mossman Collection of Canadian Coinage, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.