Great Britain 1869 1/2 sovereign
"Victoria, 1837-1901. 1/2 Sovereign 1869, London. Larger young head. Die number 11. PCGS MS62. (kingdom of Great Britain, Victoria, 1837-1901, half sovereign of 1869, London mint, young head. Uncirculated.)"This type was struck in substantial quantities 1838-85 yet choice specimens are few. All issues of 1869 bear a die number; this one has die number 11 visible at the bottom of the reverse.
Recorded mintage: 1,862,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW, this specimen 3.98 g.
Catalog reference: Seaby 3860D, Fr-389f; KM-735.2.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 51: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2018.