Great Britain 1853 shilling
This specimen was lot 29707 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $2,937.50. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Shilling 1853 PR65 NGC. Young Head, reeded edge. An exceptional example struck early in Victoria's reign, with wholly original surfaces that feature dazzling, bluish-gray patina and golden highlights. The design elements are especially crisp, with all details fully struck and silvery tone that clings to the peripheries. Flashy, bold, and incredibly scarce in this deluxe state of preservation." This type was struck 1838-66 in large quantities with a slightly modified obverse continuing until 1887.
Recorded mintage: 4,256,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 silver, 23.6 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 734.1, S-3904, ESC-1301 (R2).
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- 1853 half farthing
- 1853 farthing
- 1853 half penny
- 1853 penny
- 1853 Maundy penny
- 1853 Maundy tuppence
- 1853 Maundy threepence
- 1853 groat, Britannia reverse
- 1853 Maundy fourpence
- 1853 sixpence
- 1853 florin
- 1853 half crown proof
- 1853 crown proof
- 1853 half sovereign
- 1853 sovereign
- 1854 shilling
- Coins and currency dated 1853
- return to coins of Great Britain