Great Britain 1850 half crown
This specimen was lot 22870 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $552. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Crown, 1850. NGC AU-58. Bold strike, toned and attractive." This type was struck 1839-50, making this the last date struck for circulation; the later issues of 1851, 1853, 1862, 1864 were proof only. When the issue of half crowns resumed in 1874, it was with a slightly modified head.
Recorded mintage: 485,000.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, 32.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3888; KM-740.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.