Great Britain 1839 farthing
This specimen was lot 4121 in Goldberg sale 70 (Los Angeles, September 2012), where it sold for $414. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Farthing, 1839. Victoria. As issue in the proof set. NGC graded Proof 64 Brown." This type was struck 1838-60 and this date is common, unlike the proof only half pennies and pennies.
Recorded mintage: 4,301,000 plus proofs.
Catalog reference: S.3950; KM-725.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ira and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg sale 70: The Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles, CA: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2012.