Great Britain 1830 3 pence
This specimen was part of lot 23061 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), which sold for $288. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Maundy Set, 1830. PCGS PL-55 to PL-62 Secure Holders. 4 pieces in set. Includes: Penny (PCGS PL-58), 2 Pence (PCGS PL-62), 3 Pence (PCGS PL-58), and 4 Pence (PCGS PL-55). From a mintage of only 2,772 pieces. Each is well struck with good definition of the fine details and displays lovely deep cabinet tone showing hues of cobalt and rose that pop out when tilted in the light. A lovely matched set in terms of eye appeal. Clearly a set which sat for a prolonged period of time undisturbed. PCGS PL-58 (2), PL-62 (1), & PL-55 (1) Secure Holders." These sets were minted 1822-30 for distribution at the Maundy ceremony altho by this time most quickly passed into collections as they do today. By 1830, the silver penny and tuppence were no longer struck for circulation.
Specification: 1.41 g, .925 fine silver.
Recorded Mintage: 3,168.
Catalog reference: S-3816 (set); KM-MDS77 (set), KM 686.2, S-3819.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.