Great Britain 1771 guinea
This specimen was lot 20289 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $2,350. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George III, 1760-1820. Guinea, 1771. Third laureate bust right. Rv. Crowned quartered shield with arms. A beautiful coin with lustrous surfaces. Virtually Mint State. NGC AU-58. Ex: Spink, 1986." This type is listed for 1765-73 and is the first guinea of George III not extremely rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.35 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3727; Fr-354; KM-600.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2010.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.