Great Britain 1688 half guinea
This specimen was lot 8485 in Ponterio sale 151 (Baltimore, November 2009), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Guinea, 1688. James II (1685-88). PCGS MS-62." Three dates are known for the type, 1686-88; all are scarce. In 1688, the king was overthrown in favor of William III in a coup d'etat later known as the Glorious Revolution.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.17 g, .917 fine gold, .123 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-297; S-3404; KM 458.1.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Ponterio sale 151: The 2009 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2009.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.