Great Britain (1619-20) rose ryal Fr-239
This specimen was lot 20145 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $44,062. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. James I, 1603-1625. Rose-ryal, ND (1619-20). Spur Rowel. Third Coinage. Impeccable Third Coinage Rose-ryal Nearly Mint State Seated James I holding orb and scepter; intricate field of lis pattern and portcullis at feet. Rv. Square topped quartered shield center, ‘XXX’ above. All within beaded ring with alternating lis-lion-rose emblems. An impeccable example of an inspiring design. Most will consider this coin to have the look of an FDC piece and justifiably so; it was purchased privately by Mr. Law as such. Sharp and fully struck with incredible details, with the facial details being the most impressive. The luster is bright and frosty, as if the coin were struck yesterday. Perfect for the type and with few, if any, equals. A piece worthy of strong competition, if not a runaway price, from serious collectors seeking the finest. Choice Extremely Fine. Ex: Knightsbridge/Bord, 1986 (private purchase at the ANA)." This rose ryal of James' third issue was accompanied by a spur ryal (Fr-240), angel, laurel (Fr-242) and half laurel (Fr-243). With the accession of James I we drop "England" as the country name and adopt the current "Great Britain."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 192.8 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2632; North-2108; Fr-239; KM-66.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Great Britain (1613-15) 1/2 angel Fr-233
- Great Britain (1615-16) crown Fr-236
- Great Britain (1619-20) laurel
- Great Britain (1619-20) spur ryal Fr-240
- (1620-21) quarter laurel
- Great Britain (1620-21) 1/2 laurel Fr-243
- Great Britain (1623-24) rose ryal Fr-239
- Coins and currency dated 1619
- return to coins of Great Britain