France 1862-A centime
The first specimen was part of lot 466 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, July 2014), where it sold for $786.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE, Empire. Lot of eight (8) CU and AR Denominations. Lot includes the following denominations: ...Second Empire. Second Empire. Napoléon III. 1852-1870. CU Centime à la tête laurée. Paris mint; différents: anchor and bee. Désiré-Albert Barre, engraver general. Renouard de Bussière, director. Dated 1862 A. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 65 RB. Very lustrous and almost full red surfaces. Very choice...." The regime of Napoleon III finally carried out plans developed during the 1840's to melt down and remint all the old copper circulating in France, some of it dating back to before the Revolution of 1789. Several branch mints were reopened for this purpose. The existing mints were Paris ("A"), Strasbourg ("BB") and Bordeaux ("K"); the reopened mints were Lille ("W"), Marseilles ("MA"), Rouen ("B") and Lyon ("D"). This "laureate head" type was struck 1861-62, 1870 only at Paris (shown here), Bordeaux and Strasbourg. The one centime is the second rarest of the bronze denominations of Napoleon III, tho none are rare.
Specification: bronze, 1 g, 15 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by Jean-Jacques Barré (1793-1855). The first specimen Ø15 mm, 0.97 g, 6h axis.
Recorded Mintage: 15,363,042, highest mintage date of any bronze one centime.
Catalog reference: F.103/4, Gad-87; KM 795.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1861-BB centime
- 1862-K 2 centimes
- 1862-A 5 centimes
- 1862-BB 5 centimes
- 1862-A 10 centimes
- 1862-A 50 centimes
- 1862-A 5 francs
- 1862-A 10 francs
- 1862-A 20 francs d'or
- 1862-A 50 francs
- 1862-BB 20 francs
- 1862-BB 50 francs d'or
- 1862-A 100 francs d'or
- 1862-BB 100 francs d'or
- 1870-A centime
- Coins and currency dated 1862