France 1756-AA 2 louis d'or
This specimen was lot 40100 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $___. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 2 Louis d'or, 1756-AA. PCGS Genuine--Cleaning, AU Details Secure Holder. Louis XV (1715-74)." This type was struck 1742-73 in some numbers but the Metz mint issued this type 1743-44, 1749-59, 1766 only. Most issues of this mint are rare to unknown and this one is typical.
Recorded mintage: unknown but somewhat rare for the type.
Specification: 16.31 g, .917 fine gold, corded edge, 28-29 mm diameter, designed by J.-C. Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Dr/4 no. 792, Dr/2 no. 542, Fr-463; KM-519.2; Gad-346.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2010.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition, Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.