Colombia 1814/3-P JF 8 reales
This specimen was lot 1025 in Goldberg sale 46 (Beverly Hills, May 2008), where it sold for $4,600. The catalog description noted, "Colombia. 8 Reales, 1814/3-P-JF (Popayán). Ferdinand VII, 1808-1833. Cuirassed bust of Charles IV right. Reverse: Crowned arms between pillars. Fine, even strike. Ample luster under the attractive deep gold and russet-gray toning. Very handsome. NGC graded AU-53."
This coin represents the only attempt to strike 8 reales in Colombia during colonial times. It was issued from the Popayán mint 1810-14, 1816 and 1820. This is the most available of all the dates and turns up occasionally in auctions in VF or lower but is very rare in this quality. While other mints such as Mexico City and Santiago were using the standard bust of Ferdinand VII, Popayán persisted in continuing the bust of the abdicated Charles IV.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 fine silver, .780 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: WR-6; KM 71.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- 1770-NR 8 reales
- 1814-P 2 reales
- Chile 1814-So FJ 8 reales
- Guatemala 1814-NG M 8 reales
- Mexico 1814-Mo JJ 8 reales
- Peru 1814-L JP 8 reales
- Spain 1814-C CJ 8 reales
- 1814-P escudo
- 1814-NR 8 escudos
- 1816-P F 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1814
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection
- return to coins of Colombia