Colombia 1798-NR JJ real
The first specimen shown was lot 1012 in Sedwick sale 11 (Winter Park, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $1,098.25.The catalog description noted,
"Bogotá, Colombia, bust 1 real, 1798JJ. Nice XF+ with minimal contrast but some luster, small rim-flaw at top (not damage). Jorge Ortiz Murias collection of Colombian colonial minors."The second specimen was lot 12035 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $5,280. The catalog description noted, "Mint State 1798-JJ Real. COLOMBIA. 1798-JJ Real. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808).
MS-62 (PCGS). Even though examples of this denomination are somewhat more numerous in high grade than portrait 1/2 Reales or 2 Reales from this mint, truly Mint State coins are extremely rare. This is the sole Colombian portrait Real of any monarch certified as Mint State by PCGS. Both sides show good remaining luster and pleasing gray and gold toning. Its quality surpasses the Murias example of this date (graded EF+ at the time) and its visual appeal is finer than nearly any surviving example of the type. The sharpness is superb on both sides, despite some die-related swelling in the right obverse field. This is a major opportunity for type collectors and specialists alike. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." The SCWC lists eleven dates for Nuevo Reino between 1792-1804, all scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .896 fine silver, .097 troy oz ASW, the first specimen 3.3 grams.
Catalog reference: KM-58; Restrepo-78.24; CT-1190.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 11, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2012.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.