Colombia 1796-P JF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11349 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $3,840. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1796/3-JF 4 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos IV (1788-1808). MS-61 (PCGS). Richly toned in deep yellow gold, with beautiful visual appeal on both sides. A broad ring of denticles frames both sides. The obverse die is fallen, giving this piece a swollen look that has limited the striking detail on the portrait. A few little marks around the denomination are the only notable flaws, and the overdate is easily seen under low magnification. A prize from the Norweb Collection. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Spink America's sale of the Norweb Collection, March 1997, lot 396." This specimen is one of a type struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) 1792-1807 and at Popayan in 1792-98 and 1801. The Colombian mints (Popayán and Nuevo Reino) concentrated on minting gold, to the near exclusion of the silver which predominated at the other colonial mints. While one escudos and eight escudos are plentiful, four escudos are rare. Assayer JF is recorded for 1792-1816.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .875 fine gold, .381 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M94.5, KM 61.2, Fr-54.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2010.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.