Colombia 1795-P JF escudo
This specimen was lot 3341 in Goldberg sale 84 (Los Angeles, January 2015), where it sold for $317. The catalog description noted, "Colombia. Escudo, 1795-P JF. Charles IV. Only two specimens have been graded by NGC. NGC graded EF-40." This type was struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayán 1791-1808 and is acommon gold coin of Charles IV. Assayer JF is recorded for 1792-1808.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .875 fine gold, .095 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-59; KM-56.2.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 84: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.