Colombia 1780-NR JJ 2 reales
Revision as of 23:39, 14 December 2018 by Meontko (added link)
"Bogotá, Colombia, bust 2 reales, Charles III, 1780JJ, very rare. Deeply toned Fine with crude and offset hole near edge, but all details bold. This issue is so rare that it was unknown until early 2000, when this specimen was reported to Restrepo, after which two others came to light, one now in a collection in Bogotá and the other (Dana Roberts collection) sold in 2011 for $3,750. Jorge Ortiz Murias collection of Colombian colonial minors."The SCWC lists five dates for Nuevo Reino between 1772-84, all rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .896 fine silver, .194 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.7 grams.
Catalog reference: KM-47; Restrepo-42.8; CT-1414.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 11, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2012.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.