Difference between revisions of "Colombia 1779-NR JJ escudo"
(Created page with "from the Stack's Bowers 2018 ANA sale, lot 40026 thumb This specimen was lot 40026 i...")
Revision as of 23:18, 14 December 2018
This specimen was lot 40026 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $960. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1779-JJ Escudo. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). EF-40 (PCGS). Orange toning highlights medium yellow gold surfaces. Restrepo notes this as a rarer than usual issue. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Christie's Geneva sale of the Kurt Homme Collection, November 25-26, 1981, lot 868." This type was struck at Popayan and Nuevo Reino 1772-84 and was superseded by a type which, though identical to the naked eye, was only .875 fine.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .901 fine gold, .098 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 52.18, KM 48.1, Fr-41.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.