Difference between revisions of "Colombia 1778/7-NR JJ escudo"
(Created page with "from the Stack's Bowers 2018 ANA sale, lot 40024 thumb This specimen was lot 40024 i...")
Revision as of 00:03, 15 December 2018
This specimen was lot 40024 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $216. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1778/7-JJ Escudo. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). AU-50 (PCGS). Lustrous light yellow gold with some hints of deeper orange toning. No significant flaws are seen, just a nice example. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Spink America's sale of the Norweb Collection, March 1997, lot 309 (part)." This type was struck at Popayan and Nuevo Reino 1772-84 and was superseded by a type which, though identical tot he naked eye, was only .875 fine.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .901 fine gold, .098 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 52.15, KM 48.1, Fr-41.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.