Colombia 1767-NR JV escudo
This specimen was lot 40009 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $3,360. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1767-JV Escudo. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). EF Detail — Ex Jewelry (PCGS). A very rare and short lived type of this denomination, the "rat nose" portrait was found only on coins of Bogotá among the Colombian Escudo coins. This piece is medium yellow gold with some darker scale around the peripheral legends and devices. The obverse is fairly granular, and the edge is rounded as if once enclosed in a bezel or similar housing. Still a well-detailed example of this very rare issue. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Mike Dunigan, May 1985." This type is recorded from the Nuevo Reino mint for 1763, 1767 and 1771. It is quite a bit scarcer than the Popayán mint product, which bore the bust of the deceased king Ferdinand.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine gold, .098 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Restrepo 50.4, KM 42, Fr-34.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.