Colombia 1759-NR JV 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11146 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $4,320. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1759-JV 8 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). AU-55 (PCGS). Called extremely rare in the Calicó Onza book and very rare in Restrepo, the 1759 Santa Fe 8 Escudos with JV assayer has been missing from most major collections over the last half century. This variety is illustrated in Calicó with a pencil rubbing (perhaps of this coin, as it shows the same die break at the tip of the bust, but there is not enough detail to be certain). The strike is sharp and perfectly centered, and the medium yellow surfaces show good luster and no major flaws. A circulated specimen in the March 2013 Huntington Collection sale (Morton and Eden) hammered at 2400 pounds. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Cayón's sale of April 2002, lot 1501." This type was struck at Bogotá 1756-60 and at Popayán 1758-60. Unlike later dates (after 1772), these early issues are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 32.1, Fr-15, Restrepo M24.14.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.