Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel 1745-IBH thaler Dav-2161
This specimen was lot 625 in Stacks-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. Taler, 1745-IBH. NGC MS-62. 'Lautenthals Luck'. Two-year only issue depicting the mines at Lautenthal which were once mistakenly thought worthless; hence 'Lautenthals Luck'. Fantastic twin wildman reverse. Only example NGC has certified." A similar thaler, honoring the same mine, is known from the German state of Hannover (Dav-2099).
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Catalog reference: Dav-2161; KM-923.1.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- 1727 "leaping stallion" thaler
- 1742-IBH 24 mariengroschen
- Hannover 1745-IBH thaler Dav-2099 "Lautenthal's Luck"
- 1745 "Goodness of the Lord" mining thaler
- 1745 "White Swan" mining thaler
- 1750 Bleifeld mining thaler
- Coins and currency dated 1745
- return to coins of German States, Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel