Brazil 1776-R 6400 reis
The first specimen was lot 20139 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,997.50. The catalog description noted, "Jose I gold 6400 Reis 1776-R, AU55 NGC, sharply struck with virtually full mint luster, just a light rub on the bust." The second specimen was lot 24180 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Jose I gold 6400 Reis 1776-R, Rio de Janeiro mint, AU58 NGC. Close to Mint State with just a touch of rubbing on the bust, and much remaining mint brilliance. An attractive specimen of this popular and historically important date." This specimen is one of a type struck at the Rio de Janeiro mint in Brazil 1751-77. This coin was called a "joe" in English speaking countries.
Recorded mintage: 378,000.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 172.2, Russo-444.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.