Bolivia 1825-PTS JL 8 reales
"1825. Potosí. JL. 8 reales. Atractiva. MBC+/EBC-. (eight reales of 1825, Potosí mint. Attractive, very fine plus.)"The Potosí mint changed hands several times during 1813-15 between the Argentines (republicans) and Bolivians (royalists). By 1816, the royalists had resumed their firm grip on Upper Peru which they held until 1825. Only the final crushing defeat of Spanish forces outside Lima prompted the local chiefs to declare independence and then only to avoid incorporation into Peru or Argentina.
Recorded mintage: unknown but common. Assayer J is rare.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 fine, .780 ASW.
Catalog reference: Cal. 618, KM 84.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Sisó, Teresa, Eduardo Domingo and Lluís Lalana, Subasta Colleción Leunda, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó Subastas Numismáticas, 2011.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- 1824 8 reales
- 1825 real
- 1825 JL 2 reales
- 1825 J 8 reales
- Coins and currency dated 1825
- return to coins of Bolivia